Monday, 27 May 2019

How the Water Cycle



I am learning to inform my audience though an explanation

By Jemima


We use water all the time but we never stop to think where it comes from. Every day water heads off on an amazing adventure called the water cycle. A cycle is an endless circuit that repeats itself over and over again. 97 percent of earth’s water is salt water leaving the last 3 percent to be fresh water, but out of that only 1 percent is drinkable. The three main stages of the water cycle are precipitation, evaporation and condensation. It all begins with one heavy cloud.


The first step of the water cycle is precipitation. Precipitation is when a cloud gets too heavy and full of water and falls in the form of snow, rain, hail or sleet. Precipitation is like a balloon with too much air in it causing it to pop. After it has rained water gathers in oceans, lakes and rivers. It also pools in puddles. That leads us to the next part of our journey.


Straight after a rainy day the concrete is damp with rain water but the next hour it is as dry as a bone. No, the water did not magically disappear it was turned into water vapor with the heat of the sun. The sun steals the water turning it into an invisible gas called water vapor with its heat. The water vapor travels up to the sky and begins the last stage of the water cycle, condensation.

Condensation is when the water vapor in the sky is cooled and turned back into water droplets and made into clouds. As you get higher in the sky the atmosphere will get colder dropping down to around one degree celsius which is what turns the water vapor back to water molecules to form a cloud. Once a cloud has collected too much water it will get rid of it with precipitation.


So next time you take a drink or wash yourself take a second to think about the fabulous journey it has taken and how you might be drinking water a dinosaur bathed in thousands of years ago. The water on earth is so important and we must all play our part to use less water and protect it.

Friday, 24 May 2019

Kids Lit Quiz

On Monday, eight year six students went in two cars to St Cuthberts School to take part in the kids lit quiz. The lit quiz is a literacy based quiz with questions on popular kids books. There were ten categories like Harry Potter, newspaper, fairies and more.  Each category had ten questions. My team came last but we didn't care because it was all about having fun.  
 Image result for book

Friday, 17 May 2019

Science in a Van



We were lucky enough to have the team from Science in a Van come to share their science knowledge with us in time for science week. We learnt about balancing, the periodic table and did fun experiments. We all learnt a lot and had lots of fun. 




Friday, 10 May 2019

R.E Triangle

Over the week we have been making triangles for Religious Education. One of four sides had Baptism and the Holy Spirit on it and each of the other sides had either Faith, Hope or love on it because they are the gifts of baptism.


Thursday, 9 May 2019

Water Cycle Experiments


Yesterday Room 6 did some science experiments on the water cycle and air pressure. One of my favorite experiments was when we pushed an open balloon full of air into a bucket of water. As the air escaped it bubbled up and spilled over the edge of the bucket. Here are some photos. 

Friday, 3 May 2019

Water Cycle

This week we have been looking at the water cycle. The water cycle is the cycle all water goes through before we can use it. The three main steps are Precipitation, Evaporation and then Condensation. An interesting fact is that 97% of the earths water is salt water which means that only 3% is fresh water. 

Monday, 8 April 2019

Slop poster

Over the start of the year we have been learning how to be sunsmart using Slip, Slop, Slap, Wrap and Slide. My group made a poster on Slop. It is important to slop on some SPF 30 plus 20 minutes before you go outside and reapply every hour.